If you are undertaking nationally-recognised training delivered by a registered training organisation, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This includes studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation or completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course.
A USI gives you access to your online USI account which is made up of ten numbers and letters. It will look something like this: 3AW88YH9U5.
In time, your USI account will contain all your nationally-recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your USI account in 2016.
When applying for a job or enrolling in further studies, you will often need to provide your training records and results. One of the main benefits of the USI is that you will have easy access to your training records and results throughout your life.
You can access your USI account online from a computer, tablet or smartphone anywhere and anytime.
You will need a USI when you enrol or re-enrol in training if you are a:
• Student enrolling in nationally-recognised training for the first time. For example, if you are studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation or completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course;
• Student currently completing nationally-recognised training; or
• Student continuing nationally-recognised training. You are a continuing student if you have already started your course in a previous year (and have not yet completed it) and will continue studying after 1 January 2015.
Once you create your USI, you will need to give your USI to each training organisation you study with so your training outcomes can be linked. From there, you will be able to:
• view and update your details in your USI account;
• give your training organisation permission to view and/or update your USI account;
• give your training organisation access to your transcript;
• control access to your transcript; and
• view online and download your training records and results in the form of a transcript which will help you with job applications and enrolment in further training.
If you are an international, overseas or an offshore student please visit usi.gov.au for more information.
It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online.
While you may create your own USI, training organisations are also able to create a USI for you. Training organisations should do this as part of the enrolment process when you begin studying. Training organisations will let you know where this service is provided.
The following steps show how you can create a USI:
Step 1 Have at least one (but preferably two) of the following forms of ID below:
• Driver’s Licence
• Medicare Card
• Australian Passport
• Non-Australian Passport (with Australian Visa)
• Birth Certificate (Australian)
• Certificate Of Registration By Descent
• Student continuing with nationally-recognised training
• Immigration Card
IMPORTANT: To make sure we keep all of your training records together, the USI will be linked to your name as it appears on the form of ID you used to create the USI. The personal details entered when you create a USI must match exactly with those on your form of ID.
If you do not have proof of ID from the list above, you can contact your training organisation about the other forms of ID they can accept to help you get a USI.
Step 2 Have your personal contact details ready (e.g. email address, or mobile number, or mailing address).
Step 3 Visit the USI website: usi.gov.au
Step 4 Select ‘Student Entry’ and then Select ‘Create a USI’ link and follow the steps.
Step 5 Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Step 6 Follow the instructions to create a USI—it should only take a few minutes. Upon completion, the USI will be displayed on the screen. It will also be sent to your preferred method of contact.
Step 7 You should then write down your USI and keep it handy and safe somewhere, perhaps on your phone.