Living in Perth

The information on this page will help you get a feel for living in Perth, how to arrange accommodation, how much money you will need to support yourself (and any dependents), and where you can go to socialise and make friends.

It is a requirement of the Department of Home Affairs that, from 1 July 2012, prospective overseas students will need to demonstrate that they have access to finances to fund their living costs in Australia.

More information about studying in Australia is available from the Australian Government’s Study in Australia website:

• Study in Australia

• Living in Australia


There is a lot to consider when planning accommodation in a new country. The Australian Government’s Study in Australia website provides helpful tips about searching for accommodation.


Homestay provides a cultural exchange between you and a local family or individual (called a host). You live as a guest in the host’s home. Unlike many other accommodation options, you do not need to pay a bond, find furniture, sign a lease or search for a property.

Living in a supportive family environment, you are provided with a clean, furnished room which includes items like a bed, desk, wardrobe, chair and a study lamp, access to bathroom and laundry facilities and meal services. Utilities (electricity, gas and water etc.) are also included.

Hosts offer ongoing support and can show you around the local area or orient you about nearby facilities such as banks, post offices, shops and public transport.

CIC’s preferred homestay provider is Australian Homestay Network (AHN).

To find out more, visit:

For any general homestay inquiries, you may opt to contact them directly through this email address:

AHN students are covered by insurance and have a 24/7 emergency phone help. The minimum stay is four weeks.

Short-term Accommodation

After you arrive at Perth Airport, you need to have a place to stay even for a short time. Arranging short-term accommodation, at least for the first month, should give you enough time to settle in. Costs can vary depending on your budget. Utilities such as electricity, gas and water are usually included in most of these temporary accommodation arrangements:

Hotel standby rates –

Perth information –

Temporary accommodation options –

Long-term Accommodation

Private Rentals

As an international student, you might prefer to stay at a private rental property. Consider the following when making your selection:

• find affordable and safe accommodation close to campus

• get access to a private rental database

• estimate the costs of bond, rent, utilities and maintenance

• understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.



CRICOS (WA) 01459A, RTO 2325
CIC VET Pty Ltd trading as Cambridge International College